While a sandwich is the perfect home for the classic BLT, this variation mixes all the ingredients together and serves them up in neat little toast cups. Assemble all the ingredients, mix at the last minute and serve.
- 24 slices soft white sandwich bread
- 1 1/4 cups iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- 1/2 pound ripe tomatoes, seeded, juiced and drained
- 1/2 pound bacon, cooked, drained and crumbled
- 2-3 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Flatten each slice of bread with a rolling pin. Using a 2½-inch cookie cutter, cut 1 round from each slice of bread. Tuck the rounds into mini muffin pans and bake until lightly toasted, about 6 minutes. Cool for a few minutes then invert onto a baking rack and cool completely. (These can be made up to two days ahead of time and stored in an airtight container).
In a medium bowl, combine the lettuce, tomatoes, bacon and 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise to bind (if necessary, add more mayo but take care not to make the mixture soggy). Season with salt and pepper.
Fill each toasted bread cup with the mixture and serve immediately.
Makes 12 appetizer servings.